Monday, August 11, 2008

Baking Lessons wanted

The Mongolian women at the bible study we attend have ask me if I will teach them to bake.  Baking is a mysterious, magical thing to these women whom have only owned an oven for 5 years at the most.  They sell pretty cakes here, but they taste like a sponge smeared with Crisco- absolutely no flavor.  So, this is a fun opportunity, but very challenging also as I am met with the lack of availability of ingredients and supplies.  For instance, lets get down to basics, in order to bake a cake you need cake pans -not available.  We have the ingredients for a basic, yellow cake, but not cocoa for chocolate.  Next, the icing, this is s biggie, no powdered sugar, and still, no cocoa.  SO cakes, pretty much out of the question.  Move on to cookies.  We can make sugar cookies, but one major ingredient that they can't get is shortening, this is a major ingredient in most cookie recipes.  These ladies are POOR.  Most are not married, or married to a drunk who doesn't have a job.  I am trying to come up with ideas that use ingredients that they might have or can easily get for a reasonable price.  This is REALLY difficult......I haven't even factored in the fact that I have to change any recipe from English to Metric measures, and then translate it into Mongolian.  The fun never ends.  lets get cookin.

4 comments:

dawn wilson said...

wow! you can get on a website like allrecipies.com or something like that... then I would have to find another conversion site for the measurements! I cant believe you don't have cocoa! I would die about once a month!!! :)

Jess (Ozark Momma) said...

Probably no help Laura, but I found these:

Seven minute Frosting
Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting

Of course, you probably can't get everything for those either! I just don't know how you do it lady!!

Jess (Ozark Momma) said...

oh, oh and these...sub butter for shortening (if you can)

Poor Man's Cookies
Eggless, Milkless, Butterless Cake

If you can't tell, I'm an allrecipes.com fan too, lol

Mongapore said...

/rant on

Just use some creativity! use Golden Gobi (Mongolian) or Alpen Gold chocolate instead of cocoa.

There's actually cheap Chinese and (slightly more expensive, but good) Malaysian cocoa powder available in UB's at wholesale markets like Bombogor, and expensive cocoa powder at Good Price. I've gotten powdered sugar in Mercury, Bishrelt, and Good Price. I've seen Crisco at Good Price, but never used it, not when there's good Russian butter available!

The point is, I'm tired of hearing Westerners -- not you specifically, but mostly Americans so far -- complain about the lack of this or that in Mongolia, when often it (or something even better) is actually available if the person cared to stop whining and start looking. /rant off